There is a lot of Bluegrass within 90 minutes of Baltimore. Strangely, it can be hard to find out about these festivals and concerts. I'm hoping my Baltimore Bluegrass Calendar will help.
Check the DC Bluegrass Union's Bluegrass calendar. Some events are around Baltimore but many are to the west and south of DC, outside my 90-minute radius.
- Arcadia Volunteer Fire Company, Arcadia, MD. The closest regular venue to Baltimore. $5 jams every third Wednesday of the month.
- Eastern Shore Bluegrass Association, Denton, MD. A non-profit organization providing Bluegrass music concerts and jamming opportunities. Concerts are held monthly at the American Legion Post #29 in Denton, MD.
- Goodwill Fire Department, York, PA. Concerts produced by the Seven Mountains Bluegrass Association. Strong lineups. One a month (sometimes two) October thru May.
- Lucketts Bluegrass (Lucketts Bluegrass Foundation), Lucketts, VA. Fall through spring, 3-4 concerts every month with a good lineup with lots of variety. About an hour and 10 minutes from downtown Baltimore, not much more than Alexandria and about the same driving time as to Hanover, PA. Concerts held at the Lucketts Community Center.
- Rob's Bluegrass Barn, Concerts during the warm months, May through early October. Decent lineup; worth the jaunt out to Westminster. Unique venue; check site for details. BYOC (chair).
Major Regional Festivals
- DelFest, The long haul to Cumberland will be worth it for the stunning lineups. RV/camping sells out fast. On the expensive side when parking is added.
- Gettysburg Bluegrass Festivals, The Gettysburg spring and fall festivals are among the country's best and feature some of the biggest headliners.
When I first learned of these venues years ago, they all featured Bluegrass regularly. That is less the case now. Check my Calendar for sightings or check the Web sites of the venues for more information.
- Avalon Theatre, Easton, MD. Bluegrass has waned in recent years but may be on the rise again.
- Creative Alliance at The Patterson, Baltimore, MD. Lots of music and sometimes Bluegrass creeps in.
- Eichelberger Performing Arts Center, Hanover, PA. Bluegrass not as frequent as in previous years.
- Gordon Center for Performing Arts, Owings Mills, MD.
- Jerusalem Mills Historic Village, Kingsville, MD. Usually has several Bluegrass bands in its regular summer concert program.
- Lurman Woodland Theatre, Catonsville, MD. Summer outdoor concert series. Free!
- Rams Head On Stage, Annapolis, MD.
- The Birchmere, Alexandria, VA. Used to have Bluegrass every other week, now more like every other month or less.
Baltimore Area Bluegrass Bands
- Annapolis Bluegrass Coalition, Annapolis, MD
- Bluestone, York, PA.
- Bluetrain, Baltimore, MD.
- Bob Perilla & the Big Hillbilly Bluegrass Band, Good band also featuring the great Mike Munford on banjo.
- Carroll County Ramblers, Regulars at Arcadia.
- Dean Sapp & The Harford Express, Elkton, MD.
- Dirty Grass Players
- Flatland Drive, Denton, MD.
- High Strung, Timonium, MD.
- Satyr Hill Band
- Slim Pickinz, Bel Air, MD.
- Tim & Savanah Finch with the Eastman String Band
Want your Bluegrass venue or band listed here? Contact Me.